Last updated 14/06/2021
Unfortunately, we have come to the difficult decision to cancel our Raleigh Expeditions to Costa Rica and Nepal this summer (Cycle 2: June to September).
Costa Rica and Nepal have seen a significant wave of COVID-19 cases in recent weeks, and due to the impact of the ongoing cases on the health care systems and international travel, it is no longer safe to continue to plan our Raleigh Expeditions this summer.
For Raleigh Expeditions to Costa Rica and Nepal this autumn (Cycle 3: September to December) we are continuing to monitor the situation closely and are currently planning to deliver our programmes.
We appreciate that these are uncertain times, so if you have any questions about these programmes that are not answered here, please keep in touch with us. During this period of uncertainty, we can be flexible over fundraising deadlines – contact us to discuss this.
We regularly monitor advice provided by the World Health Organisation, UK government, and relevant authorities in our countries of operation; monitor how international travel will resume and the local contexts and review our operational plans and protocols.
We will be monitoring the situation closely and aim to decide whether it is safe to run programmes in 2021 in early August (around 5th August, once there have been further updates regarding the red, amber and green travel lists).
We are continuing to plan our new UK programme Re:Green, starting from July 2021 in the Western Highlands of Scotland, UK.
Please see the FAQs below if you are considering applying or if you have already secured a place. Get in touch if you can’t find the answer you need.
We are constantly monitoring and assessing the situation, here and in our countries of operation. We have permanent staff in each country that are in contact with local governments, embassies, and other authorities. We will only go ahead with our programmes when we know that we can maintain our high standards of safety and risk management. We continue to review and update our operational protocols to ensure we can work safely. We will give finalised, full detailed guidance prior to the upcoming Raleigh Expeditions, but for your safety and that of others, the measures are likely to be the following:
Overall, our principle will be to adapt programme delivery to a physically distanced model, being creative to ensure as few of the key ingredients of the Raleigh Expedition experience are compromised as possible. However, the fundamental principles are to:
You will be able to secure your place with confidence. If we have to cancel the programme in advance due to COVID-19, we’ll offer you an alternative programme, so you’ll be able to defer your place to a future Raleigh Expedition, or switch to our new Re:Green programme (starting this summer in the UK).
If you can’t travel due to travel bans or quarantine restrictions, then we’ll offer you the option to transfer your place to an alternative programme within the next 18 months.
If we cancel the programme and you are unable to defer or switch programme, as per our Terms and Conditions, if we ‘have to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances, we retain the right to deduct from such funds a proportion of costs incurred.’ We will offer to return a proportion, depending on the timing of cancellation, of directly contributed fundraising.
As an example:
If Raleigh International are forced to cancel the programme prior to departure, we will have already incurred significant planning costs of the expected volunteer fundraising for that programme (prior to 12 weeks 50%; 12-6 weeks 70%; less than 6 weeks 85% (figure X)). Therefore, we will 1) calculate X% of total fundraising or the deposit, whichever is greater (figure A); 2) calculate / ascertain the direct/ non-online contributions made (figure B); 3) return the lower of figure A or B. Direct/ non-online contributions are those paid directly to Raleigh International by credit or debit card, cheque or bank transfer by volunteer or close family. Indirect or online contributions are those donated to Raleigh International via an online giving platform by the volunteers’ supporters, as irrevocable donations to our work.
As outlined above, the deposit you paid is included in the calculation as part of step 1 and will be retained by Raleigh as a minimum.
If you choose to withdraw from a programme, for any reason, you will need to inform us in writing. If Raleigh International are still going ahead with the programme, any funds received by the charity up to this point will be treated as donations to the charity and will not normally be refunded, as per our T&Cs.
Please get in touch and let us know. It is essential you do not join if you have COVID-19. Depending on timing / availability you may be able to join a later Raleigh Expedition a few weeks later or defer to any Raleigh Expedition or Re:Green programme over the next 24 months. If this is not possible, we may be able to a return proportion of your direct fundraising contributions, pending medical evidence of the diagnosis.
2021 Cycle 3 (September to December): We are still currently planning to deliver these programmes, however we are aware that both Costa Rica and Nepal are impacted by COVID-19 at the minute, with a high, but reducing number of cases and ongoing implications for their health systems. There are also international travel restrictions in place (both countries are currently on the UK’s ‘red list’). We are monitoring the situation closely and aim to decide whether it is safe to run programmes in 2021 around 5th August, once there have been further updates regarding the UK’s red, amber and green travel lists.
2022 Expeditions: We are still currently planning to deliver these programmes, and we hope that the situation in both Costa Rica and Nepal improves with the roll out of their vaccination programmes, and eased pressure on the health care systems.
Our staff teams continue to work remotely at home or to a limited degree in each of our offices. Throughout we have remained fully connected and focused on restarting our volunteering programmes and continuing to deliver our national volunteer programmes, where safe to do so.
Last year, in March 2020, we suspended our international volunteering programmes as a result of the global pandemic. We are proud to have successfully and safely returned over 500 volunteers home from their various programme locations. For the safety of our volunteers, staff, partners and the communities we work with, we also made the difficult decision to cancel our international programmes in 2020 to date.
Our water, sanitation health and hygiene (WASH) programmes are already closely aligned to the type of projects that will be valuable in a COVID and post-COVID world. We will be working with project partners and communities to better understand how the needs may have changed and how we can tailor our projects and activities to support even more. More broadly, our non-Expedition programmes that work with national volunteers only are also being redeveloped to respond to this global issue.