Raleigh International – part of The Impact Travel Group, recognizes its responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and vulnerable adults across the continent.
All volunteers and interns (as well as staff members) are, therefore, required to obtain a Criminal Record Check (in respect to working with children and Vulnerable Communities) prior to joining one of our programs. This requirement forms part of our Safeguarding Policy which is based on the UN Standards for Child Protection.
At all of our project locations, volunteers will come into contact with local communities, including young children at some point during their stay. This is the case for both environmental and community-based programs.
Criminal Record Checks must be completed within 6 months of your Expedition departure date.
As per our Terms & Conditions, in the event you are unable to provide a Criminal Record Check prior to joining us, you will be unable to begin your Expedition.
- If your country of residence is not listed, please contact the local government or police department to receive the highest level of check possible. If you need support, please get in touch with your volunteer coordinator.
- For countries that only issue clearances in their local language, you DO NOT need to translate the document.
- One is through Acro – ICPC. While it does state it is a requirement for Visa applications, it can also be used for volunteering purposes that requires a Police Certificate that covers the vulnerable sector.
- The other option is to obtain a DBS Disclosure. We do require the enhanced certificate as it covers our child protection policy requirements, however, individuals can only apply for a basic or standard disclosure alongside 2 references. Here are your options.
- If you do not have an enhanced one for work purposes, we will accept the Basic/Standard disclosure and will then require 2 professional character references to support the Basic Disclosure. You can apply for it online DBS Disclosure Check.
- If you have an enhanced disclosure that would be between 6 and 18 months old when you arrive, then we will accept this with 1 character references.
- If you are registered on the updated services then you can just send us your last DBS certificate and we will be able to check the status closer to your arrival.
This will be a Criminal Record Extract and we require Model 596-2 which covers supervision of minors and child protection. This can be requested by your municipality if you are registered in a Belgian Municipality. For all details relating to the request, please consult your municipality’s website.
If you are no longer registered in a Belgian municipality, you can apply via mail or email at email@example.com
This can take up to 5 days.
Will need you to obtain a Certificate of Criminal Record (CERTIDÃO DE ANTECEDENTES CRIMINAIS).
For further details on the application process follow this link: https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado-montreal/brazilian-criminal-record-certificate .
The document is only valid for 90 days so please ensure you apply within 3 months of your starting date.
Depending on where in Canada you reside, please note that you will or will not be able to obtain a Criminal Record Check in Respect to Working with Children and/or Vulnerable Adults.
If you live in British Colombia:
You will be able to apply for your Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check. Please see the link with more information on how to obtain your Vulnerable Sector Check: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/where-do-get-a-criminal-record-check.
If you live anywhere else in Canada:
Please let us know so we can provide you with a letter stating that you are joining Raleigh International and require a Police Check within the Vulnerable Sector. You will then need to apply for your Police Clearance through your Municipal Police.
Should the Vulnerable Sector Police Clearance request be rejected, you can apply for a standard police clearance will then need to provide us with the police clearance as well as 2 professional character reference letters. Please see the link with information you will need on the requirements to obtain your police check: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/types-criminal-background-checks. When specifying the reason for application, please state ‘Community & Environmental Development with Raleigh International’.
You will need to apply from the Serive du Casier Judiciare.
- This link will offer you more details about what you must do:https://casier-judiciaire.justice.gouv.fr
There is no mention of valid period so please only request this within 6 months of your arrival date.
You must obtain the form from your local Bürgerservice and complete it yourself. This link will offer you more details about what you must do: https://www.bundesjustizamt.de
A few important things to note:
- You will need to take your identification with you to your local Bürgerservice
- We DO NOT require the over certification of a certificate.
If you’re from Northern Ireland you can apply for a Basic DBS Disclosure (DBS Disclosure Check) and supply us with the copy along with 2 Professional Character References which can be uploaded to the pre-departure form. It is recommended that you apply for an International Child Protection Certificate (ICPC Application) which can be submitted to us without the Professional Character References.
If you’re from Southern Ireland, you need to apply for a Certificate of Character Clearance as you are going abroad to volunteer. To obtain this, you will need to
- Go to your nearest Irish Garda Station and fill in the form for Certificate. This will then be sent away and posted to you.
- It takes anywhere between 7 & 18 days to get back so please give yourself enough time to receive it before your Expedition.
Israel DOES NOT provide police clearances to individuals. It gets sent to the Embassy closest to the Expedition. Please discuss this with Expedition Specialist before applying. Depending on where they go, we will need to management and the field team sign off on Character References instead.
You can apply for a Police Certificate at any Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. This link will help you find the closest one to you. https://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp
You will need to apply for a Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag – VOG).
If you are registered in the BRP, you can apply through your municipality, we will complete the form for the applicant on our side and email it back to them to finalise and apply.
If you are not registered in the BRP, you must apply directly to Justis – https://www.justis.nl/producten/vog/certificate-of-conduct.aspx
You can apply for a DBS check via https://www.mygov.scot/disclosure-types/. If you are a member of the Protecting Vulnerable Group (PVG) Scheme, you can send us a copy of your certificate when joining along with an email from Management (preferably HR) confirming your scheme status has not changed.
We require the Special Excerpt from the Swiss Criminal Records which covers the Vulnerable Sector. Raleigh International will need to start the process by completing an online form and sent it onto you to continue. Once you are ready to apply, you can email your Volunteer Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) to start the application. You can find more information on https://www.e-service.admin.ch/crex/cms/content/strafregister/uebersicht_en
For Raleigh International Staff member only:
- To begin the application process you will need to follow the steps on the Application Link and send the completed copy onto the participant to carry on the process. This police clearance is much pricier.
- Should a participant complain about the fee for the Excerpt from the Swiss Criminal Records, we can accept the standard Excerpt from the Swiss Criminal Records along with 2 character references.
United States of America
We will accept an FBI Background Check done if you apply for one with your Visa applications. Please ensure the FBI Background Check is dated within 6 months of your arrival to your Raleigh Expedition.
You can also apply for a background check via this link: https://www.backgroundreport.com/ for any US Citizen or any person who holds a US Social Security Number